Terre Haute references
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jerry

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  22:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a resident of Terre Haute, Indiana, I am understandably interested in the three references to my city the movie makes. (Darren McGavin's, "A fella down in Terre Haute won a bowling alley."; Ralphie's "The line to see Santa stretched halfway back to Terre Haute.") But it's the third somwhat veiled reference that is the most interesting: When the Parkers go to the Christmas parade, Jean Shepard's narration says "..downtown Hulman was decked out in it's annual gala Christmas trappings" Or something to this effect. It shows Shepard knew a LOT about Terre Haute since the Hulman family was and to a degree, still is the most prominent family from this city. Tony Hulman was the owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and his wife still says 'gentlemen start your engines' on race day.
The first time I saw this movie, I marveled at the CORRECT references to Terre Haute. Since Shepard was from northern Indiana, does anyone know HOW he had such intimate knowledge of the city? Did he have relatives here, or near here? Anyone have any information on this? Many thanks.

ilikethetinman

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  00:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean lived in Hammond, Indiana, close to Terre Haute in the northern part of the state, so I can imagine he made trips there and was very familiar with the items you mention.

Cleverly, last year the Dept 56 guys put out the (now retired) Hammond Town Hall and the Hammond Town Tree as a play on Jean's hometown.

Go to Top of Page

angelprincessarah

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  14:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Jerry[/i]
[br]As a resident of Terre Haute, Indiana, I am understandably interested in the three references to my city the movie makes. (Darren McGavin's, "A fella down in Terre Haute won a bowling alley."; Ralphie's "The line to see Santa stretched halfway back to Terre Haute.") But it's the third somwhat veiled reference that is the most interesting: When the Parkers go to the Christmas parade, Jean Shepard's narration says "..downtown Hulman was decked out in it's annual gala Christmas trappings" Or something to this effect. It shows Shepard knew a LOT about Terre Haute since the Hulman family was and to a degree, still is the most prominent family from this city. Tony Hulman was the owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and his wife still says 'gentlemen start your engines' on race day.
The first time I saw this movie, I marveled at the CORRECT references to Terre Haute. Since Shepard was from northern Indiana, does anyone know HOW he had such intimate knowledge of the city? Did he have relatives here, or near here? Anyone have any information on this? Many thanks.

He actually doesn't say "Hulman". He says downtown Hohman, which is a street in Hammond, IN. Hohman is the fictional name given to the town, but it is actually Hammond, which is where Jean grew up.
Go to Top of Page

LilPiggy

2 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  13:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,

Jean did indeed live in Hammnond, IN. The reason he references Hohman is because there is an actual street in Hammond by that name. US41 Highway runs from Hammond all the way to the Southern part of Indiana. Terra Haute is actually 145 miles directy South of Hammond on US41.

FYI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
A Christmas Story © 2000-2010 Jim Clavin v3.4.07 Go To Top Of Page